Friday, March 1, 2013

Roadrunner : The Official Rock n' Roll Song of Massachusetts



Is there really any other song out there that makes you prouder to be from Massachusetts than "Roadrunner" by The Modern Lovers?

Although I was born in a different time and place, I spent nearly 8 years of my life in the Boston area, and have always felt a strong connection to the place and the song. Many nights I've spent driving along the pot-hole filled roads of route 9 and 128, past the Stop and Shops. Usually there was always wicked awful traffic, but those long trips in and out of the city gave me plenty of time to listen to life-changing music. I was young, and dumb, and didn't have much money; but I did have the power of rock n' roll radio blaring from my car speakers. "Roadrunner" and the rest of the Modern Lovers' debut album from 76' was a soundtrack to those times.

Jonathan Richman isn't a household name. He's probably best known as the serenading singer in the film - There's Something About Mary. But over the years he has influenced many artists. He's been called the "Godfather of Punk", with songs that have been covered by acts as diverse as The Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop, Frank Black, and David Bowie.

Recently I came across a bunch of articles that there were several bills being introduced to state legislature to pick an official rock n' roll song for the state of Massachusetts. A few years ago, a former A&R rep from Sub Pop Records put together a petition which was presented to Dorchester representative - Marty Walsh. Since then other state representatives have come to the forefront and suggested that "Dream On" by Aerosmith would be a more suitable choice. Of the song, Rep. Josh Cutler calls it "a classic ballad that's all about holding on to your dreams and seizing an opportunity".

I'll admit it's pretty great song, I have a soft spot for Aerosmith and I do like the band's early years. They're awesome in concert, they're uber talented, but where's the connection to Massachusetts? Although they formed in Boston, they weren't all from the state. Whereas Jonathan Richman was born just down the road in Natick. "Dream On" could be about anyone in any town, but "Roadrunner" is total - "I'm in love with Massachusetts!".

Join the Facebook Fan Page at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Make-Roadrunner-Massachusetts-Rock-Song/131302800353780?group_id=0



Roadrunner, roadrunner
Going faster miles an hour

Gonna drive past the Stop 'n' Shop
With the radio on
I'm in love with Massachusetts
And the neon when it's cold outside
And the highway when it's late at night
Got the radio on
I'm like the roadrunner
AlrightI'm in love with modern moonlight
128 when it's dark outside
I'm in love with Massachusetts
I'm in love with the radio on

No comments: